Christmas is celebrated honouring the birth of Jesus Christ. Though Christmas is a christian festival, its celebrated by all religions, caste, creed and all sectors of the community. December 25th is marked and celebrated as Christmas.
Christmas is a time for family get-togathers and celebrations.
Its a much awaited festival for children.....waiting for gifts from Santa Claus.
Christmas tree, lights, gifts, cold winter breeze, plum cake....mmmmmm :P the list is never ending. For most of us its a family bonding time, in the coziness of our homes.... with our loved ones.....enjoying a feast. What more can we ask for.
Let me share the most yummy christmas plum cake recipe for you. Simple and yet a very tasty version of the original plum cake.
Stock them up.......
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ cup chopped cashew nuts
- ¼ cup black raisins
- ½ cup mixed dry fruits
- ½ cup candied papaya
- 1.5 cups white sugar
- ⅔ cup butter, at room temperature
- 3 eggs
- A Pinch of nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350F / 180C.
- Caramalize the sugar. In a pan on medium heat, melt ½ cup sugar slowly don't let it burn, keep stirring. Turn off heat and add about ¼ cup water. Put it on the stove and slowly heat the mixture until the syrup is done. This will take around 10 mins. Let this cool and set aside. Caramel syrup is ready.
- Coat the dry fruits and nuts with butter and sprinkle some flour, this will help the nuts not to sink to the bottom but stay in place.
- Mix the Flour, baking powder and rest of the spices and salt
- Beat the butter and sugar till peaks appear, now add the eggs and flour and gently fold in.
- Add the cooled caramel syrup and dry fruits and gently fold in. Pour the batter into a greased cake pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 50-55 mins until the top turns a dark brown, keep checking it with a tooth pick or a knife if they come out clean. your cake is done.
- Cool the cake completely on a wire rack and dust it with powdered sugar.
Enjoy the yummy plum cake with your family and friends.